Lemon, Pistachio, Praline
Those three words made me think of a dessert fit for a hot summer day (it was extremely hot here in Mozambique).
Off to the kitchen I go, pursuing a perfect cake with those three ingredients in mind. And so this cake was born, and what a delight it is.
It is moist, tangy, full of flavor and texture contrasts. As this time I used finely ground almond flour, it really has the texture of a “normal” cake, with the added benefit of being healthy.
Just try, just have a great time showing your friends how beautiful and yummy keto can be.
And let me know what they said (my colleagues at work, my official guinea pigs, love it)
6 eggs separated
1 1/2 cups of fine almond flour
5 tbsp lemon zest
8 tbsp lemon juice
1/2 cup chopped pistachio nuts
1/3 cup of swerve or any other keto sweetener (adjust to taste)
1/4 cup olive oil
2 tsp gluten free baking powder
1 tsp lemon extract (optional)
1 tbsp finely ground/powdered swerve (optional)
2 + 1 tbsp swerve or other keto sweetener
- Pre heat the oven to 180º C
- Oil and line with baking paper a loaf pan
- Put the egg yolks in a bowl and the egg whites in another
- Beat the egg yolks well, add the sweetener, half of the lemon juice, olive oil, extract and mix well between additions
- Add the almond flour to the egg mix, and mix well
- Fold in the gluten-free baking powder and the lemon zest
- Beat the egg whites until stiff peaks form
- Gradually add the egg whites to the other mix, folding in carefully, to guarantee that the air is retained in the mix (as you do to a delicate sponge cake)
- Fold in 1/4 of a cup of chopped pistachios
- Pour into the loaf pan and bake for approximately 45 to 50 minutes
- Transfer to a wire rack to cool down completely
While the cake is baking, work on the praline
- In a pan add the 2 tbsp of swerve and let it caramelize until you get a golden brown color
- Add the pistachios and mix in, stirring constantly until the mix is sticky (add hot water, 1 tsp at a time, if it is too thick)
- Let it cool down completely
For the "syrup"
Mix the remaining lemon juice with 1 tbsp swerve and 1 tbsp water, take it to a gentle boil and let it simmer for 5 minutes. Let it cool down
To assemble the cake
- Insert a toothpick several times in the cake, making small holes
- Pour the syrup over the cake
- Let it rest for 10 to 15 minutes
- Add the praline on top
- Dust it with the powdered swerve